Beauty & the Blog - video, lifestyle, beauty, and a blog -

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

How to make your hair more healthy

Hair can be such a beautiful thing! It can also be an over processed, fried, dried out, stringy situation that you cover up with a hat or better yet, do what I do and when in doubt, BUN. IT. UP! 

So here are some things I do to keep  my locks feeling and looking healthy, shiny, and bouncy! Vavavoom!









As you know, I am obsessssssed with coconut oil. I have color treated hair that I curl and kill all the time and then spray with a million products. So coconut oil saves my hair, it has so many benefits and uses, so of course I use it in my hair too. Just take about 1 TBSP of coconut oil into the palm of your hands and warm it up, then work it into your hair, massage it through, tie it up and go to sleep (lay a towel on your pillow for the oil since it will transfer). In the morning wash it out (it takes a few washes, coconut oil is a thick mask buuuut great for moisture buuuut thick) and your hair will be soft and bouncy again. 
 
For when I'm traveling or I don't have time for an all night 'leave coconut oil in my head' kind of routine, than I grab for one of my weekly to-go treatments. You can do any of these in the shower, just work them through your hair after you shampoo, and then wash them out after you've shaved your legs! 

My favorites are shown above. Palmers deep conditioner packs - this is such a great brand because apparently they make everything I need in these convenient little 'to go' packs. Perfect for traveling, perfect for shower treatments, and hell - perfect for gifts! I put a few different packets into a basket with bath salts and they make the perfect 'at home spa' gift for someone :D These packs last me a few deep conditioning treatments, they wash out easily, and smell uh-mazing! I'm alll about the smelllll! 

The Olive Oil one is very rich, the consistency is similar to what you'd find in an avocado mask or banana mask you'd make at home. The Argan Oil mask has more of the same consistency to the coconut oil mask, less creamy, but just as hydrating to your hair. These two are my favorite to-go packs. 
Something I've always loved and it seems so simple yet I don't know a lot of people who use it, but good ol' VO5 Hot Oil works like a charm! You're supposed to warm it up for a minute, but when I'm in the shower and don't have access to boiling water I just put the oil into a cup with really hot water from the bath and let it sit for a minute while I wash my face. Then I put it all in my hair for another minute and rinse it out. My hair is always so soft and shiny after a hot oil treatment. 

The way that it works is, the heat from the oil opens the hair shaft and infuses your hair with moisture and shine. I mean....woooo! 


And keeping with the theme of deep treatments, beyond doing weekly night time leave in treatments with the coconut oil, I will alternate that with this deep treatment masque from Shea Moisture. It's super rich and thick, smells like heaven, with argan oil and shea butter, and after this treatment your hair will look and smell angelic. This is a thicker treatment so you'll have to wash it out a few times, but it's my second favorite deep conditioner, my first being the coconut oil. 


Soooo if you want healthy hair, you don't have to do the 80284759 things I do to my hair I promise. I do a lot to my hair because I do a lot to it to have to. But I do suggest a leave in conditioner and maybe a coconut oil mask every week to lock in moisture and repair any damage. 


I made a video about all of this a while ago, if you're more of a watcher than a reader, have a looksie!


I'm doing a video soon about a mask for hair also, a DIY hot oil treatment, oh and that skin care scrub ;) I haven't forgotten. Soon my pretties!!!



xoxo















No comments :

Post a Comment