Beauty & the Blog - video, lifestyle, beauty, and a blog -

Thursday, March 20, 2014

Making eating healthy easy!

I don't know about you, but when people say 'eating healthy', I automatically think "oh yum, rabbit food! Salads! No sugar! No carbs! Ummm... no thanks!!!" 

I personally love to cook, even more so I love to bake! I like when food tastes good, and I like food in general, don't we all? I mean, social events revolve around food and we celebrate all things in life with food - all the foods. So thanks to a few of my friends' different recipes, today I give you the yummiest dish to make for lunch or dinner, and this super healthy dish makes eating healthy, super easy.


Now I'm not one to eat salads, I don't love them, I don't think they're filling at all, and I don't particularly think they're tasty at all. If I eat a salad it's because it's healthy for me and I'm perpetually trying to be 'healthy'. This salad however is so good, since I've discovered it, I literally have it now four to five times a week, thank you Miya! It's a citrus spinach salad with fresh grated parmesan cheese on top and it's so flavorful and tangy! 

Next to the salad is the salmon I roasted. I probably make salmon or some kind of fish at least three times a week. Not because of the health thing but because of the taste thing, I'm Islander and I love sea food. But the benefits we get from fish is also a plus. This is the best marinade and you can hardly taste the 'fishy' taste with it. 

The coconut quinoa with cilantro is everything! Also from Miya, this recipe is beyond yummy and anything with coconut I am alllll about! And the refreshing water tastes like a vacation and is an awesome detox beverage! 

So what you'll need:

The Citrus Spinach Salad
- spinach (I usually use an entire bag)
- juice of 1 1/2 lemon
- fresh cracked pepper
- a pinch of sea salt
- 1 cup grape tomatoes cut in half
- 1 Persian cucumber sliced 
- red onion (just a few very thinly sliced long pieces)

- 1/4 cup olive oil
- drizzle of vinaigrette 
- fresh grated parmesan cheese

What you'll do is throw the spinach into a big ol' bowl, toss in all of the other ingredients and give the salad a good mix and set aside for 15 minutes to allow all of the flavors to infuse the leaves. Then before serving, grate the parmesan over top and enjoy!

Spicy salmon in tomato lemon juice

- 1 to 2 pieces of salmon
- 1 lemon
- fresh ground pepper
- cilantro
- Himalayan sea salt
- paprika
- olive oil
- tomato paste
- 1 medium sized jalepeno 
- 1/4 cup red onion finely chopped

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. In a baking pan drizzle some olive oil on to the bottom. Rinse off the salmon and place them into the pan. Drizzle the tops of them with olive oil, some ground pepper, a pinch of sea salt, and sprinkle some paprika on top. 


In a small bowl combine some finely chopped cilantro, the juice of one lemon, a bit of olive oil, a squeeze of tomato paste, half of a medium sized jalenpeno finey chopped, and the red onion. 


Pour this mixture on top of the salmon, cover the baking pan with foil, and bake for about 25-30 minutes or until cooked in the center. This is even more yummy if you allow the salmon to marinate in the sauce over night. 


Enjoy!



Coconut Curried Quinoa


- 2 cups quinoa
- 1/2 finely chopped red onion
- sea salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cloves fresh garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped baby kale
- 21 salute seasoning
- cumin
- tumeric
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1 can coconut milk 

In a pot add 4 cups water, one bay leaft, quinoa, salt, pepper, cumin, and let cook. 


In a pan on the stove drizzle some olive oil and add the red onion, garlic, salt, and pepper and let the onion saute. 


When the quinoa is done, add it to the pan, along with the coconut milk, cilantro, tumeric, cumin, 21 salute, kale, and some more pepper. Let this mixture simmer together for about 5-7 minutes and then remove from heat. 


Enjoy! This is the best!!!!!!!!! :D 




Detox water


- 3-4 strawberries

- half cucumber
- 1 small slice of lemon
- water
- ice cubes

In a jug, combine water, ice, chopped strawberries, cucumber slices, and the slice of lemon. Let this sit for a few hours in the refrigerator and ENJOY! So so so delicious and good for you! I hate plain water, I don't know why, and this makes drinking a JUG of water super easy!



Hope you enjoy these recipes and your day!!!


hugs,


Jess














2 comments :

  1. i still want to eat your mashed potatoes!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When dining at a restaurant maintain your discipline. Stay away from the bread basket or tell the waiter to remove it from the table. There are many restaurants that offer a selection of healthy meals; some even provide the meal's calories and nutritional information on the menu. dominos for diabetics

    ReplyDelete