Beauty & the Blog - video, lifestyle, beauty, and a blog -

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Vegan nail polish?!

When I heard 'Vegan' nail polish I was like 'oh man, nail polish just went all hipster on us!' <---- true thought, is this an LA state of mind? But I really loved the colors so I gave it a go and hey, try before you buy right...or is that you break you buy? Whatever the case, this is my review of the Color Secrets Vegan nail polish and their lip gloss...pssst I'll tell you if things suck when they suck, so here goes my thoughts.
I love the colors, I have to say that first because it's the first thing I thought when I set them up in this circle. I love how vibrant they are from pastels to neons. 

Let me preface by saying that when I review things, my opinions are real and when things suck I will tell you they suck and why. These did not suck. So my first thought was that the color won't stick. I could visibly see that the formula is a thinner formula than that of lets say an Essie or an OPI polish. 

I polished my nails with "The Proposal" which is the coral-ly pinkish color, and did a few accent nails in "Titanic", the sea foam color you see above. I personally always prep my nails with a base coat, also I had a feeling that if I didn't use one that these colors might stain my nails. We'll see next time I'll try it without the base coat. The first coat as I suspected went on pretty thin, spotty in areas, and it seemed a lil watery. But then I applied a second coat and it stuck, it was nice and vibrant and thick enough where I didn't have to apply a third coat wahooo! 


I finished off my nails with a top coat, and tadaaaa, here are my nails! And my face. I was channeling my inner Twiggy here with my daughter's rad sunnies and the Color Secrets lip gloss in "Coral Punch". Also, I'm not really into highly pigmented lip glosses or lipsticks for that matter, I have big lips so I end up looking like a mail order bride! I usually go with more sheer colors but this lip gloss wasn't too opaque for me at all, nice! 

So these nail polishes are Vegan in that there aren't any animal parts used to create the metallic or pearlescent finishes. Instead, they use mica powder to achieve those sparkles, and just like the lip gloss, the polishes are cruelty free and made in the US. But seriously they had me at $3.99. Yes you can get the polish or the lip gloss, or both, for under 5 bucks each! 


Considering I spend a boat load of money on cosmetics, this is a nice change. Annnnd it's good for me, and the Earth so boom!!!! P.S. don't mind my cuticles in this photo, I'm barelyyyy good at polishing my own nails, yet alone taking care of cuticles. But this is the lip gloss I'm wearing in the photo, a lot more sheer on my lips than I thought it would be, which is a good thing. I think. For me anyway. 

So I hope you enjoyed this review, that's my honest experience with what I tried, thanks for reading my words! 

Have a groovy day! 

xo- 

Jess
















No comments :

Post a Comment